Dark lips are a common problem for women. It can be very unappealing and unattractive. Dermatologists call this Melasma. There are actually a lot of reasons for this.
1. Smoking - This is the most common factor affecting the lips that result to discoloration. When you smoke the cells on your lips get affected in a negative way. Cigarettes and Tobacco also contain nicotine and tar that are very harmful to the body. It turns your lungs dark, how much more with the ever sensitive lip? So it is very much advisable to quit smoking. It won't only save your lips but your lungs too.
2. Sun Exposure – The same way Sun Rays darken the skin, is the same thing with your lips. This factor is the biggest cause for Melasma. Extreme exposure to sunlight causes pigmentation and can darken or discolor the lips. That's why it is advisable to use a lip balm with SPF 15 when you are outdoors.
3. Using cheap, non-trusted, non-mild, non-reliable and b-standard brands of lip stick and balms – There are lipsticks and lip creams that contain ingredients that can darken the lips after using them for a long time. So make sure you are using the right lip stuff or cosmetic to avoid discoloration and irritation of the lips. Natural lip balms are also a good option.
4. Lip chap/ Dry lips – Dry weather and other factors cause Dry lips. Prolonged chapping of the lips can cause darkening. It is advisable to use a lip moisturizer when you find your lips chapping.
5. Excessive amounts of tea and coffee – As they say "too much of something is bad enough". Drinking too much tea and coffee can darken and stain the lips. Always be careful of your caffeine intake.
6. Unhealthy diet – Though not that rampant, some say that unhealthy diets can lead to lip darkening due to the lack of nutrients and vitamins for the body. It is also advisable to drink 8 glasses of water daily.